Thursday 24 June 2010

titles...

...are always a source of doubt, sometimes more so than the piece.

The title of this blog is from Graham Harman's book about Bruno Latour, Prince of Networks, I quite like it. I'm still getting my head around Latour, but I like the basic ideas of it as I currently understand them, although I find Harman to be a little overenthusiastic sometimes in recounting his subject's rhetorical victories over other philosophers (often dead...) and systems.

In the moment when Blogger's template generator asked me for a title, this was in a list of phrases I keep around for potential piece titles, and it seemed to fit: although fitting a thing that does not yet exist, it at least fitted the idea of what the thing might be. Sometimes a piece and a pre-conceived/appropriated title just fit, this blog just 'fit' that title. The serendipity of nomenclature.

No comments:

Post a Comment